Currently, only users with admin-level access in WordPress can set up and use the Site Kit plugin. This guide explains the permission levels for Google tools when used with Site Kit:
Google Search Console
If you’re an admin in WordPress, Site Kit grants you Owner permissions for your site in Search Console. Learn more about permission levels in Search Console.
If there isn’t an Analytics property associated with your site and you do not currently have an Analytics account:
- Go to Settings > Connect More Services > Analytics > Set up Analytics
- Sign into your Google account and approve permissions to see and download your Google Analytics data
- From the Account dropdown menu, select Set up a new account
- Check the pre-filled required information and update any fields as necessary
- Click Create Account to proceed. You’ll be prompted to grant additional permissions to Site Kit and accept the Google Analytics Terms of Service agreement. Site Kit will create a Google Analytics account for you with the permission level of Administrator.
If you’re an admin for an existing Analytics property associated with your site:
- In the Site Kit plugin, connect the Analytics service
- Select the account, property, and view from the drop-down menus
- Click Configure Analytics
If you’re not an admin for an existing Analytics property, you have two options:
- Get an admin to add you as a site admin so you can view data
- Remove the current Analytics snippet from your site and add a new one with Site Kit to be granted Analytics admin status (Site Kit won’t place a duplicate Analytics snippet)
To set up Tag Manager, you need to have container-level permissions in Tag Manager. If you don’t have access, get an admin to add you to the container in Tag Manager. Learn more about permission levels in Tag Manager.
- If your Google Account is associated with an AdSense account, you can connect AdSense to Site Kit without further setup
If your Google Account isn’t associated with existing AdSense code on your site, you have two options:
- Ask an admin to add you to the account in AdSense
- Remove the existing AdSense code and return to complete AdSense setup in Site Kit
- If you have an AdSense account associated with your Google account, connecting to AdSense with Site Kit will add the necessary AdSense code to your site.
- If you don’t have an AdSense account, Site Kit gives you the option to create one. Once you have signed up for AdSense, Site Kit will add the AdSense code to your site for you.